Our guest this broadcast is Huffington Post Blogger Danielle Helzer. Danielle and her husband recently adopted two children for foster care and Danielle wrote a blog offering new parents these three tips: 1) The trauma your kids have experienced will impact you. 2) Don’t be afraid to find a therapist…for yourself 3) Foster-adoptive parenting is not about us; it’s about the kids. Danielle describes the concept of Secondary Trauma and the idea of a parent who sometimes becomes a “Nurturing Enemy” to the child of trauma they are raising. Pat O’Brien and Chester Jackson host Play Radio Show Here
- AGAPE – A New Post Adoption Program
- Anita and Linda DeSantis Share Their Adoption Story
- Yaridania Betancourt – Making life better for youth in care.
- Helping Children Love Themselves and Overcome Their Negative Belief Systems with Heather Forbes
- Entered Foster care at 17 and aged out at 21 with Desiree Moore.
TagsAdopted at 18 All Children All Family Anni Keane Beyond Consequences commitment Danielle Skelly Denise Royal documentary education Etched in Sand extreme recruitment family film Former Foster Youth Foster/Adopt Connect foster care holiday season homeless Huffington Post Human Rights Campaign kinship LGBT Mary Chancie; Mary Keane moral adoption mothers day NACAC Nobody Ages Out orientation parenting Paul Snellgrove permanent home Regina Calcaterra Search siblings single dad Sue Badeau support group teen moms teen talk trauma volunteer Wednesday's Child young adults Youth Advocate